Thompson Tabby House
Other features on Fort George are the Thompson Tabby House, which dates to the mid-1800s, although the exact origins of the unfinished home are unknown. The home is named for Charles Thompson who purchased the island in 1854 and is the most likely builder of the home. The structure is built of tabby, a hardened mixture of crushed oyster shell, sand and water. Tabby was an ideal building material, using items easily found in the local area.
Fort George Road
Take the opportunity to step back in time with a drive along Fort George Road with its canopy of live oak trees. Learn even more by taking a virtual ranger tour along the Saturiwa Trail, which follows part of Fort George Road. A CD of the tour is available from the Ribault Club or ranger station for use in your car's CD player.
St. George’s Episcopal Church
Past the turnoff to the Ribault Clubhouse is the historic St. George Episcopal Church, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. The church is an example of the historic river missions established by the second bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Florida, John Freeman Young.
In 1877, a small group of Episcopalians met with Bishop Young and established a mission on Fort George Island. The island, which at that time was accessible only by boat, is rich with Pre-Columbian history and is the home of Kingsley Plantation, a remarkable story in itself. In 1883, the beautiful stained glass windows were installed, including the window above the altar, which depicts St. George slaying his dragon. The building’s architecture is known as Carpenter Gothic, a style that prevailed for small churches in this area at the time. It was considered to be easily built and maintained and the board and batten construction is quite suitable for the climate. St. George’s building remains essentially unchanged and is recognized by the City of Jacksonville and the State of Florida as an historic building. In 1987, the building was restored with the help of a State of Florida preservation grant.